“Call the plumber” is usually the first thing that comes to mind when you have a blocked drain, and with good cause, as this can lead to serious damage in a very short time if it is not attended to promptly. There are many things that could cause a blocked drain, and believe it or not, there are little tricks that only the plumbers know, to easily unblock a drain. Here are a few of the effective ways to unblock an obstruction in the drain.
- Hot Water – Often the blockage is not oil based, and might just be shifted if you pour a pan of very hot water down the sink. If your waste pipes are PVC, make sure the water isn’t any hotter than the hot tap can provide, as boiling water could cause them to melt. Regular stainless steel pipes can handle boiling water, just be careful with splashes. If you are in Western Australia, and are suffering blocked drains in Perth, there are online specialists who can clear that blockage quickly and efficiently.
- Vinegar and Baking Soda – This is ideal for any blockage caused by fat or grease, as it eats into the solution and quickly breaks it down. Take half a cup of baking soda and pour it carefully into the drain opening, then pour a cupful of vinegar onto that, but be careful as it will spit and fizz. Leave it to subside and then add another cup of vinegar, and after you’ve done that, it should be left for at least 15 minutes, after which you should flush it with hot water repeatedly.
- The Traditional Plunger – This handy tool is always worth a try, but make sure you use it correctly. Place the cup over the sink hole and gently push down and up to create a seal, then apply a little more pressure to create suction. It is a good idea to tape up the overflow hole before using the plunger, as air will be forced out of that opening, lessening the force on the blockage. If all else fails, you can always call in a local plumber, and anyone who is looking for drain unblocking in Perth, or any other city, can contact emergency online plumbers who will have it fixed in no time.
- Chemical Drain Cleaners – While they are usually effective, chemical solutions aren’t exactly green, and there could be consequences for the insect and animal population. It is best to talk to a plumber before using chemical agents, as they are not always suitable.
- Call in the Specialists – A good plumber would be able to quickly unblock any drain, and with a range of modern solutions, the job will be done in no time. Leaving a blocked drain can cause extensive damage to any structure, and if it rains heavily, the problem will be even worse.
Swift action is required whenever the drains are blocked, and emergency plumbers are equipped to deal with any kind of blockage, so always keep their number handy, you never know when you might need their services.